Today, RTP, the Portuguese national broadcaster, has released the names of the ten acts that will compete to represent Portugal at the Eurovision Song Contest 2014.
RTP has already named the ten composers that were invited to enter songs into the national final, as Portugal returns to the contest after missing the 2013 contest because of the broadcaster’s financial situation. You can see the names of the ten contestants and composers below,
The 10 artists, song titles and composers
- Rui Andrade – Ao teu encontro (Marc Paelinck)
- Suzy – Quero ser tua (como a lua é do luar) (Emanuel)
- Zana – Nas asas da sorte (Jan Van Dijk)
- Raquel Guerra – Sonhos roubados (Nuno Feist)
- Catarina Pereira – Mea culpa (Andrej Babic)
- Madalena Trabuco – Coração de filigrana (Tozé Santos)
- Lara Afonso – O teu segredo (João Matos/Miguel Ferrador)
- Ricardo Alfonso – Emoção (Ricardo Alfonso/Luis Fernando/Rui Fingers)
- Carla Ribeiro – Mais para dar (Hélder Godinho)
- Ivo Lucas – Eu vou (João Só)
The ten contestants will perform their entries in the Festival da Canção 2014 semi-final on 8 March with a final taking place a week later on 15 March.
Portugal were drawn to perform in the second half of the first semi final on 6 May. They are yet to win the Eurovision Song Contest, having made their debut in 1964 and competing in 46 editions of the Eurovision Song Contest. Their best result came at Eurovision 1996 when Lúcia Moniz finished in sixth place with her entry O meu coração não tem cor.