Finland: Softengine win UMK 2014

Source: esctoday.com,
Written by:
Finland: Softengine win UMK 2014

Tonight the final of Uuden Musiikin Kilpailu 2014 aired on YLE, the Finnish national broadcaster, and Softengine came out on top and will therefore represent Finland in the Eurovision Song Contest 2014 with their song Something better.

Tonight eight acts competed for the honour to represent Finland at the Eurovision Song Contest but when the jury and public votes were combined, Softengine finished top ahead of Mikko Pohjola, who finished second, and MIAU who finished third.

Jury result

1. SoftengineSomething better   38
  2. Mikko PohjolaSängyn reunalla   35
  3. MIAULove/Drug   32
  4. Hukka Ja MamaSelja 28
  5. Lauri MikkolaGoing down   23
  6. Clarissa ft. JoshTop of the world   20
  7. Hanna SkyHope   19
  8. MadcraftShining bright   13

Finland will compete in the second half of the second semi-final on 8 May 2014 in Copenhagen. Finland debuted at the Eurovision Song Contest in 1961 and has won the event once in 2006 with Lordi’s Hard Rock Hallelujah, and last year they were represented by Krista Siegfrids, finishing 24th in the grand final with her entry Marry me.

What do you think of Finland’s choice for the Eurovision Song Contest 2014?

Pete Lewis
Pete Lewis

I'm Pete, and I'm from the UK and I've recently graduated from my Journalism course at University. I've been a fan of the Eurovision Song Contest since the early 2000s, and my favourite entry of all time is Lane Moje.

1. john
    February 3, 2014 at 20:27

Potential winner?? Only if all of the other countries pull out,and all of Europe goes deaf in may .
    Terrible dirge.Shouty,3 minutes of noise. Hopefully on the ESC complilation CD they can place this where the hole on the cd goes.

2. John
    February 3, 2014 at 15:29

Great choice from Finland.. This could be a potential winner in Denmark.. They really have to fix their live performance because the vocals are not their strong point.. The studio version is much better.. Good luck from Greece ;-)

3. Benjamin Johnson
    February 3, 2014 at 09:38

Out of tune and too noisy.

4. Miss Misery
    February 3, 2014 at 07:12

Wow, I would not have placed this song to even the top three :/ Finland had better singers in the contest – Hanna Sky was the only potential for me…

5. Paul
    February 2, 2014 at 19:23

Wow Finland this is a great song. Top 5

6. Cowboy79
    February 2, 2014 at 16:38

Not a Fan :( I like songs which are vocally sang in key. This is way too pitchy and will get lost amongst all the great songs we will have this year.

7. Laurent
    February 2, 2014 at 15:26

The only potential winner for me yesterday and they won in spite of a first position singing in the show.
    I would change the end of the song where the singer screams a little too much because it spoils the song.

8. RiaNL
    February 2, 2014 at 13:14

This song was not my choise, but not so bad. My favorite song was 2.Mikko Pohjola with Sängyn reunalla

9. Mich