It can’t be Uuden Musiikin Kilpailu without a favourite flop and an out-of-nowhere winner. This time, it was Norma John who won the national selection and will represent Finland at the Eurovision Song Contest 2017 in Kyiv.
Emma, the runaway favourite in Finland with Circle of light went on to perform as the first song but failed to provide a winning performance. This gave the other nine songs the green light to give it all and run for the first prize.
Emma’s 30.4% of the televotes from the pre-voting went down to 12.3% which put her on the third place. Here are the detailed results of tonight’s show, given by ten international juries (first number), televotes (second number) and the total outcome (third number):
- Norma John – Blackbird (94 + 88 = 182)
- Zühlke – Perfect villain (74 + 71 = 145)
- Emma – Circle of light (53 + 53 = 106)
- My First Band – Paradise (45 + 52 = 97)
- Günther & D’Sanz – Love yourself (37 + 45 = 82)
- Alva – Arrows (15 + 48 = 63)
- Anni Saikku – Reach out for the sun (43 + 16 = 59)
- Lauri Yrjölä – Helppo elämä (43 + 15 = 58)
- Club La Persé – My little world (21 + 29 = 50)
- Knucklebone Oscar & The Shangri-La Rubies – Caveman (5 + 13 = 18)
In previous years, the difference between the jury votes and the televotes caused disappointment among fans. This time, the winner has won both the jury vote and the televotes. Norma John will sing Blackbird at one of the semifinals of Eurovision 2017, hoping to bring back Finland to the final of the contest after not qualifying since 2014.