TVE, the Spanish national broadcaster unveiled the 9 potential Spanish Eurovision 2018 final entries yesterday. Preparations for next Monday’s national final have already kicked off at the Operación Triunfo academy.
Spain is gearing up in full steam in its quest to determine the 2018 Spanish Eurovision entry. The Iberian country is set to change its fortunes in our beloved contest and achieve an honorable result in Lisbon.
The five Operación Triunfo (OT) finalists and the last evicted hopeful, Agoney, will fight for the golden to Lisbon at the 2018 Spanish Eurovision national final. A total of 9 songs are bidding to represent Spain at the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest (5 solo songs, 3 duet songs and 1 group song).
Yesterday, the hopefuls were allotted their respective entries and got a chance to meet up with their entries’ composers.
Listen to the competing entries
You can listen to 8/9 potential entries in the video below. Amaia, Alfred, Miriam, Ana Guerra, Aitana and Agoney meet the composers and listen to their potential Eurovision songs for the very first time.
The 9th song, Camina (group), has been composed by the 16 OT 2017 hopefuls and will be revamped for Eurovision in order to suit the voices of the five finalists.
Camina – group song
Watch the rehearsals live (24 hours)
You can watch the OT 2017 hopefuls rehearse their potential Eurovision entries live on the official OT 2017 official live YouTube channel.
The 9 potential entries
- Amaia – Al cantar (Rozalen)
- Alfred – Que nos sigan las luces (Nil Moliner)
- Aitana – Arde (Alba Reig)
- Miriam – Lejos de tu piel (Steve Robson & Diego Cantero)
- Ana Guerra – El remedio (Nabalez)
- Agoney and Miriam – Magia (Funambulista & David Otero)
- Aitana and Ana Guerra – Chico malo (Morgan & Simms)
- Amaia and Alfred – Tu cancion (Raul Gomez)
- The 5 OT 2017 Finalists – Camina – (OT 2017 participants/Manu Guix)
Spanish national final
- The 2018 Spanish Eurovision national final will be held in Barcelona on Monday 29 January and will be aired live at 22:35 CET on TVE 1, TVE International. The gala will also be streamed live on rtve.es. The 2018 Spanish Eurovision national final will be part of the OT 2017 shows.
- The show will be hosted by Roberto Leal, one of Spain’s most sought after tv presenters
- The 2018 Spanish Eurovision entry and act will be determined solely via a 100% public televoting deliberation
- The Grand Finale of Operación Triunfo has been set on Monday 5 February.
Spain in Eurovision
Spain debuted in Eurovision in 1961 and has won the competition twice (1968 and 1969). The country enjoyed much success in its early days, but now seems to have had a reverse in fortunes. We must not forget that Spain has not made it to the Top 5 since 1995.
The Iberian country has only made it twice to the Top 10 in the last decade, namely in 2012 and 2014 with Pastora Soler and Ruth Lorenzo respectively.
In 2017, Spain selected its Eurovision entry via a national final leading to Manel Navarro‘s victory and winning the golden ticket to Kyiv with Do it for your lover. Unfortunately Spain came last in the Grand Final, continuing the bad spell of poor results in the competition.