The tenth semi final of the Icelandic selection for the 2008 Eurovision Song Contest took place tonight. Three acts performed one song each and the winner was chosen by televoting: Svala Björgvinsdóttir is the composer who will take part in the national final on 16th February with The wiggle wiggle song performed by Haffi Haff.
Itwas the third and last turn of three of the composers who have been invited by RÚV to write songs for the Icelandic selection. The complete line-up was as follows:
- Ali Mobli, Harold Burr, Hildur Guðný Þórhallsdóttir, Sigurður Þór Óskarsson, Soffía Karlsdóttir (composer: Barði Jóhannsson) – Friður á þessari jörð
- Hrund Ósk Árnadóttir (composer: Magnús Eiríksson) – Í rússíbana
- Haffi Haff (composer: Svala Björgvinsdóttir) – The wiggle wiggle song
Barði Jóhannsson has previously won the 5th semi final with Ho, ho, ho, we say hey, hey, hey and got a wildcard in the third semi final forÁ ballid á. Magnús Eiríksson has won the 2nd and the 6th semi final with Leigubílar and Hvað var það sem þú sást í honum? respectively. Svala Björgvinsdóttir got a wildcard in the second semi final for If I ever fall in love again and was eliminated in the 6th heat with I won't be home tonight.
The line-up for the national final on 16th February is therefore almost complete with eleven out of twelve entries chosen:
- Páll Rósinkranz og Gospelkór Reykjavíkur – Gef mér von
- Mannakorn – Leigubílar
- Ína Valgerður Pétursdóttir, Seth Sharp og Berglind Ósk Guðgeirsdóttir – Lullaby to peace
(Magnús Þór Sigmundsson)
- Davíð Þorsteinn Olgeirsson – In your dreams
(Davíð Þorsteinn Olgeirsson)
- Mercedes Club – Ho, ho, ho we say hey, hey, hey
- Baggalútur – Hvað var það sem þú sást í honum?
- Bjartur Guðjónsson – The girl in the golden dress
- Eurobandið – Fullkomið líf
- Birgitta Haukdal og Magni Áseirsson – Núna veit ég
(Hafdís Huld Þrastardóttir)
- Ragnheiður Gröndal – Don't wake me up
(Margrét Kristín Sigurðardóttir)
- Haffi Haff – The wiggle wiggle song
The 12th spot is reserved for the one of the wildcard entrants, the winner of the second chance round to be held on 5th January.
In 2005, 2006 and 2007, Iceland did not manage to reach the final of the Eurovision Song Contest although the country was sometimes quite close finishing 16th, 13th and again 13th in the semi final respectively. Iceland will havetake part in one of the semi finalsin Belgrade.