TVE, the Spanish national broadcaster will be airing a special show, #OTvision, on Tuesday 23 January where the 5 competing entries at the 2018 Spanish national final will be revealed and allocated to each of the 5 candidates. Each singer will be allotted 1 song in order to compete for the golden ticket to Lisbon. The song titles and the names of the composers will also be revealed during the show.
TVE is in full steam preparing for the 2018 Spanish national final. The broadcaster is all set to give extensive coverage to its national selection and Eurovision 2018 project.
A special show has been scheduled to air next week, where the broadcaster will shed more light on the five potential Spanish Eurovision entries and the 2018 Spanish Eurovision preparations.
#OTVision will be streamed live on Tuesday 23 January on TVE’s official website from 15:30 CET. The song reveal is scheduled to take place at 16:00 CET, when the show will have a live feed with the Operación Triunfo (OT) academy.
Hereafter Zahara, Juanma Fernández (Bluper) and Alfredo Murillo (Buzzfeed Spain) will evaluate the bidding entries and share their views and comments from TVE’s studio.
A total of 5 acts will battle for the golden ticket to Lisbon at the upcoming Spanish national final which will be held in Barcelona on 29 January.
About the national final
- The song titles and names of the composers competing in the Spanish national final will be revealed on Tuesday 23 January. The 5 competing singers will be allocated their respective entries on the same day. Each singer will be allocated 1 song, thus 5 songs will compete in the national final.
- The 2018 Spanish Eurovision national final will be held on Monday 29 January with a total of 5 acts battling for the right to defend Spain at the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest in Spain.
- The Grand Finale of Operación Triunfo has been set on Monday 5 February.
- To be determined on 22 January (Agoney or Ana Guerra)
OT 2017 timeline
- 22/01: 5th OT 2017 finalist determined (via public televoting)
- 23/01: Song allocation – song titles and composers announced
- 29/01: Spanish national final (100% public televoting deliberation)
- 05/02: OT 2017 Grand Finale
National final date set
The gala will be aired live on Monday 29 January at 22:35 CET on TVE 1, TVE International and streamed live on rtve.es. The 2018 Spanish Eurovision national final will be part of the OT 2017 shows.
The 2018 Spanish national final will be hosted by Roberto Leal, one of Spain’s most sought after tv presenters.
The show has slowly but swiftly gained back much fame and name in Spain and has set the social media platforms on fire. Last Monday’s show was viewed by more than 3 million viewers.
The 2018 Spanish Eurovision entry and act will be determined solely via a 100% public televoting deliberation.
Spain in Eurovision
Spain debuted in Eurovision in 1961 and has won the competition twice (1968 and 1969). The country enjoyed much success in its early days, but now seems to have had a reverse in fortunes. We must not forget that Spain has not made it to the Top 5 since 1995.
The Iberian country has only made it twice to the Top 10 in the last decade, namely in 2012 and 2014 with Pastora Soler and Ruth Lorenzo respectively.
In 2017, Spain selected its Eurovision entry via a national final leading to Manel Navarro‘s victory and winning the golden ticket to Kyiv with Do it for your lover. Unfortunately Spain came last in the Grand Final, continuing the bad spell of poor results in the competition.