Malta will continue its search for the 2009 Eurovision Song Contest tonight with the eighth and last semi final being held. Another seven acts will compete to be one of the 20 acts which are going to reach in the national final. The qualifiers for the national final will also be revealed in the show.
Seven songs will be presented tonight. Out of the total of 56 songs in the eight semi finals, an expert jury will select 15 songs for the national final on 7th February while another five songs will be chosen by televoting. Valerie Vella will host the show, whichstarts at 21:15 CET and will be broadcast on TVM.
Tonight, the 20 qualifiers will be revealed as well as the running order in the national final. The show will also include an hommage to late songwriter Charles Camilleri, the composer of the 1972 Maltese entry. One of the special guests in the 2h 45min program will be Morena, who will perform her 2008 Eurovision Song Contest entry Vodka again.
The webcast will be available worldwide on this article at 21:15 CET.
Composer/Lyricist in brackets.
- Natasha & Charlene – King (Charlene Grech/John A. Agius)
- Annabelle Debono – Army of lovers (Sean Vella/Gerard J. Borg)
- J. Anvil – Love me or leave me (Trevor Fenech/Claudia Faniello)
- Christina Barbara – Life is an opera (Rita Pace)
- Klinsmann – Butterfly sky (Klinsmann Coleiro/Joe Julian Farrugia)
- The Elements – Ha hi hu (Carm Fenech)
- Wayne Micallef – Where you belong (Wayne Micallef/Luke Ambrogio)
Morena represented Malta in the second semi final in Belgrade, where she finished 14th with Vodka. The country will take part in one of the semi finals in the 2009 Eurovision Song Contest in Moscow.