The German broadcaster NDR has announced the shortlist of five artists who will participate in Unser Song 2017, the German national selection for Eurovision 2017. It will be held on 9 February.
The five participants were chosen out of almost 2500 applications. “We present five exciting candidates who have convinced us musically with their performance in intensive studio sessions. They are very different, and I am curious to see who will be chosen by the public”, said Thomas Schreiber, ARD’s Head of Entertainment.
The German candidates are:
- Axel Maximilian Feige (28) – Freelance musician from Hamburg. He is currently playing with the bands Absolem Max and Diazpora, which will release its new album in mid-February.
- Felicia Lu Kürbiß (21) – Songwriter and pianist from Freilassing. Reached the final of Germany’s Rising Star in 2014.
- Helene Nissen (20) – Student from Hollingstedt. Plays the guitar and plays in concerts with her brother. Gained stage experience while appearing at the Travemünder Woche show of NDR.
- Isabella “Levina” Lueen (25) – Music management and vocal studies student from Berlin. Studies at the London College of Music. Writes soul and pop songs along with playing the piano and singing in bars with her band. She used to play in children’s musicals until the age of 16.
- Wilhelm “Sadi” Richter (19) – Jazz musician from Dortmund. Studied composition at the Folkwang University of Arts in Essen. He plays the piano, bass and drums and sings in clubs. In 2013, he participated in the show Shooting Stars – Promis an ihren Grenzen where young talents mentor celebrities in their profession. He worked with the Dutch model Sylvie Meis.
The artists will perform songs especially written for the ESC, in front of a jury consisting of Lena Meyer-Landrut, Tim Bendzko and Florian Silbereisen, who will provide professional comments. Ultimately, the winner will be decided by 100% televoting, and the international public may vote on their favourite song via a Eurovision App. The three hours long show will be hosted by the German Eurovision personality Barbara Schöneberger.
Stay tuned to ESCToday for more news regarding Unser Song and Germany at the Eurovision Song Contest 2017!