Preparations are under way to set up a new organisation to replace the Malta Song Festivals Committee.
The term of the present committee, which is responsible for the organisation of the International Festival of Maltese Song, the National Youth Song Festival and the Song for Europe Festival, expired on May 31.
Mr Bonnici, appointed as chairman of the committee in 2000, is also expected to head the new organisation.
He said that because there had been only a caretaker committee in recent months it was decided that there would be no changes to the regulations of the Song for Europe Festival to be held on February 7 and 8.
Mr Bonnici said the new organisation could either be set up in the coming weeks or immediately after the Malta International Song Contest on October 26.
“I am a little concerned that the new set-up has not yet been formed but I do understand that having something really professional requires time and preparation,” he said.
The new organisation would have to discuss what course of action to adopt when it comes to deciding on which record company will sign up the winner of the Song for Europe Festival, who will eventually represent Malta in the Eurovision Song Contest.
The German record company Cap Sounds has signed Malta's entry for the Eurovision since 1996. However, two high placing Eurovision entrants – Ira Losco and Chiara – recently complained about the treatment they received from the record company.
It is still unknown if PBS-Malta, the Maltese national broadcaster, will form integral part of the new set-up. In the past years the Malta Song for Europe Festival and the Maltese Eurovision entries were under the responsibility of the Ministry of Culture and not under the direct responsibility of PBS-Malta.
In the past years, everytime there was a change in government, all members of the committee had to resign and new people were then appointed by the new Minister in house.