The United Kingdom's much loved conductor, Ronnie Hazelhurst will today undergo triple-heart bypass surgery. The three-time Musical Director of the Eurovision Song Contest has a strong pedigree in the competition and one of the most distinguished careers in his profession.
The 75 year old conductor, was the Musical Director of three Eurovision Song Contests held in the United Kingdom, (1974, 1977 & 1982). In addition he conducted the orchestra on several occasions,for the following entries.
- 1977 Germany Telegram by Silver Convention
- 1977 United Kingdom Rock bottom by Lynsey de Paul & Mike Moran
- 1982 United Kingdom One step further by Bardo
- 1987 United Kingdom Only the light by Rikki Peebles
- 1988 United Kingdom Go by Scott Fitzgerald
- 1989 United Kingdom Why do I always get it wrong by Live Report
- 1991 United Kingdom A message to your heart by Samantha Janus
- 1992 United Kingdom One step out of time by Michael Ball
He famously donned a pin stripe suit in 1977, and conducted the entry Rock bottom, using an umbrella as the baton.
When not involved in Eurovision, he has conducted some of the world's most respected orchestras, including the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, and composed the theme tunes to some of the most loved shows on British television including:'Allo 'Allo!, Are You Being Served? Blankety Blank, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, Last of the Summer Wine, Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, Sorry! Three Up, Two Down, To the Manor Born, The Two Ronnies, Yes Minister, and of course, Wogan
The team at esctoday.com would like to wish Ronnie a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing him conducting again in the very near future.