In the first heat of Eurosong 2006, seven participants competed for three semifinal tickets. Three participants qualified for the semifinals, to take place on 5th and 12th February: Star Academy winner Katerine, Brahim and Jeason. Among the participants was Vanessa Chinior, who represented Belgium at the 1999 Eurovision Song Contest with Like the wind, but she didn't make it to the semifinals.
Flemish broadcaster VRT managed to organise a modern national selection again, even with water under the stage. Unfortunately, it didn't all go to plan; at the beginning of the show someone dropped a camera.
The results were as follows, points were respectively given by the following juries;
� a professional jury (Yasmine, Marcel Vanthilt, André Vermeulen and Johnny Logan)
� the Radio 2 jury
� the Radio Donna jury
� the press jury
� televoting, sms voting and voting through digital television
1. Brahim – P.O.W.E.R. – 7+7+9+7+14=44 points
2. Jeason – Dame amor, dame vida – 5+3+4+2+10=24 points
3. Sonny O'Brien – I'll be there for you – 4+5+5+5+4=23 points
4. Fantoom – Hier sta ik – 1+2+3+1+8=15 points
5. Vanessa Chinitor – Beyond you – 3+1+1+3+2=10 points
6. Zenna – Someone is calling – 2+4+2+4+6=18 points
7. Katerine – Watch me move – 9+9+7+9+18=52 points
The televoters screwed it for Sonny O'Brien, who received significantly less points from the home voters. Katerine, who has Greek roots, won the first qualifier round. Vanessa Chinitor and her song written by the Maltese duo Philip Vella/Gerard James Borg ended last with only 10 points.
The next qualification round for the two semifinals takes place next week!