The European Broadcasting Union members have elected a new Executive Board at the EBU’s General Assembly in Geneva this week.
A total of nine European public media service executives will be joining the EBU President Mr. Tony Hall (BBC) and Vice President Ms. Delphine Ernotte Cunci (France Télévisions) on the Executive board as of 2019 for a two year term. The new board will serve from January 2019-December 2020.
The EBU’s Executive Board is responsible for ensuring the implementation of the EBU’s strategy and policies.
Four members re-elected
Ms.Cilla Benkö (SR), Mr.Petr Dvořák (CT), Mr. Ulrich Wilhelm (ARD/BR) and Mr.Gilles Marchand (SRG SSR) have all been re-elected by the EBU members to serve for a second term on the Executive Board.
Five new members join the board
Mr.Ibrahim Eren (TRT), Mr. Marcello Foa (RAI), Mr.Giacomo Ghisani(RV), Mr. Sergei Pavlov (Channel One Russia) and Mr. Gonçalo Reis (RTP) will be joining the board for the very fist time.
- Ibrahim Eren is the Turkish national broadcaster, TRT’s General Director since July 2017.
- Marcello Foa is the president of the Italian national broadcaster, RAI, since 2018.
- Giacomo Ghisani is the Acting Director General of Radio Vaticana.
- Sergei Pavlov is Director of International Relations and member of the Board of Directors for Channel One Russia.
- Gonçalo Reis is the Portuguese national broadcaster’s CEO and president of RTP’s Board since 2015.
Mr. Tony Hall ( Incoming EBU President) says:
I welcome this new EBU Executive Board. Public service media has never been more important or more needed. As we begin our EBU Presidency in January, Delphine Ernotte Cunci and I look forward to working closely with the new Board and the EBU Director General Noel Curran, as well as with all EBU Members and staff.
It’s a time of great excitement and opportunity in global media. And I firmly believe that the time for public service media has come – with brilliant local content, impartial news and a universal mission that brings us all together.
Through working together I believe that EBU Members can deliver even more for our audiences, and I’m excited about working with the new Executive Board to deliver that ambition over the two years ahead.
The EBU Executive Board
- Mr.Tony Hall- EBU President (Director General BBC/United Kingdom)
- Ms. Delphine Ernotte Cunci -EBU Vice President (CEO France Télévisions/ France)
- Ms. Cilla Benkö ( Director General SR /Sweden)
- Mr.Petr Dvořák ( Director General CT /Czech Republic)
- Mr.Ibrahim Eren ( Chairman and Director General TRT/Turkey)
- Mr.Marcello Foa (President RAI/Italy)
- Mr.Giacomo Ghisani (Acting Director General andLegal Representative RV /Vatican State)
- Mr.Gilles Marchand (Director General SRG SSR/ Switzerland)
- Mr. Sergei Pavlov ( Director of International Relations, Member of the Board of Directors Channel One/ Russia)
- Mr. Gonçalo Reis (CEO RTP/Portugal)
- Mr.Ulrich Wilhelm (Director General ARD/BR-Germany)
The EBU members and assembly thanked the outogoing Executive board members along with the outogoing President Mr. Jean-Paul Philippot (RTBF) and outgoing Vice President Ms. Monica Maggioni (RAI) for their had work and devotion.
About the EBU
The EBU is based in Geneva, Switzerland and is a global alliance of public service media (PSM). The European Broadcasting Corporation has 73 active members in 56 countries and 34 associate members in 21 countries.
The EBU’s main target is to secure a sustainable future for public service media, providing its members with world-class content: news, sports and music etc. The EBU also aims building on its founding ethos of solidarity and co-operation to create a centre for learning and sharing.
Mr. Noel Curran is currently the General Director of the EBU. The European Broadcasting Unions is the organizer of the Eurovision Song Contest, an event it has been producing since 1956