Tonight, the first semi final of the 2009 Eurovision Song Contest was held. 18 countries competed and ten were chosen to move forward to the grand final. NIne songs qualified thorugh televoting and the tenth one is the highest placed entry in the jury voting without qualifying through televoting.
The following countries have qualified for the grand final this Saturday, 16th May:
- Turkey – Hadise – Düm tek tek
- Sweden – Malene Ernmann – La voix
- Israel – Noa & Mira Awad – There must be another way
- Portugal – Flor-de-Lis – Todas as ruas do amor
- Malta – Chiara – What if we
- Finland – Waldo's People – Lose control
- Bosnia & Herzegovina – Regina – Bistra voda
- Romania – Elena Georghe – The Balkan girls
- Armenia – Inga & Anush – Jan jan
- Iceland – Yohanna – Is it true?
The order is the same as the countries were announced in during the show. This is neither the running order not the order of placement.
The following countries were eliminated:
- Czech Republic
- FYR Macedonia
THe second semi final will be held this Thursday, 14th May. Another 19 countries will compete for the last ten spots in the final.