Günther Struve, program director of the German Broadcasting Union ARD, has criticised the German national final held last friday. “This concept cannot stay the same. But this was already known before, we had not needed last friday to prove that,” he told the German newsagency dpa. Only 5.6 million Germans watched the Countdown Grand Prix 2003, a decrease of nearly 50% compared to last year.
“Such a contest needs its rough edges. In recent years, we had participants like Stefan Raab, Guildo Horn or Rudolf Moshammer, who forwarded the Grand Prix emotionally. The power of the songs is not enough to suceed,” Struve said further on. He claimed that the national final needs to be sharpened and did not want to exclude the idea of using the austrian Starmania format in the future, a talent show similar to Operación Triunfo.
The topic will be discussed in the forthcoming meeting of the program directors of Germans regional broadcasters, to be held March 25th. A decision about the future of the German Countdown Grand Prix could be made April 3rd at the meeting of the entertainment directors.
Meanwhile, the newspaper taz, who was supporting female singer Senait (photo), published the complete ranking of the German final. As broadcaster NDR refuses to publish any results below third place, these ranking is not official.
1. Let's get happy by Lou; 12,29% (first round) / 38,0% (second round)
2. Woran glaubst Du by Beatbetrieb; 11,04% / 31,6%
3. Alles wird gut by Die Gerd Show; 16,3% / 30,3%
4. Herz aus Eis by Senait; 8,99%
5. Living in a perfect World by Tagträumer
6. Liebe macht Spass by Troje
7. Golden Key by Isgaard
8. Für immer by Vibe
9. Somehow, somewhere by Elijah
10. Wenn Grenzen fallen by Sascha Pierro
11. Hörst Du meine Lieder by Freistil
12. Life by Charlemaine
13. Die Seite wo die Sonne scheint by DJMDG
14. Love is Life by Lovecrush.
In an interview with her supporting paper, Senait revealed that she is going to record a duet together with Countdown Grand Prix-participant Tobias Schacht (DJMDG) next week. She said: “I like Tobias. I could fall in love with him – spiritually, that is.” She revealed also to be in negotiations with MTV Germany about a VJ job.