Greece confirms, selection options under discussion

Written by:
Greece confirms, selection options under discussion

One more broadcaster confirms their participation to the 2013 Eurovision Song Contest. As ERT have confirmed to Esctoday, Greece will be there but the method by which the next representative will be selected is still to be decided.

2013 will see Greece’s 34th participation in the Eurovision Song Contest. Since the country debuted in 1974 they have missed 6 contests.

Despite the current financial problems the country faces, the Eurovision Song Contest remains a profitable project for ERT as it achieves extremely high viewing figures and generates income from advertising. All expenses, the same as last year, will be covered by private sponsors.

It has not yet been decided which method ERT will use to select the artist who will represent them in Malmo. According to Mr Johnny Kalimeris, Executive Member of the Board, all options are currently under discussion. It could be via an open final like in previous years, a short list of artists or in an extreme case, internal selection.

Stay tuned to esctoday.com for more news on Greece soon.

ESCtoday BigPoll 2014

Stella Floras
Stella Floras

Thanks to Johnny Logan and Hold me now I fell in love with the Eurovision Song Contest, a love that's been going strong ever since with undiminished passion. My first memories date back to 1977 and the lyrics of Rock bottom, Dschinghis Khan and A ba ni bi are still engraved in my brain. I joined esctoday.com in 2006 as a junior editor after being invited by Barry Viniker, I soon became Senior Editor and during the 2007 contest in Helsinki I was appointed Head of Communications. Today I hold the post of Head of Human Resources and I am proud to be working with the best editorial team in the world.

1. â
    November 14, 2012 at 20:14

I hope they will finally send something not Greek-sounding, but still sing in Greek. :)

2. Karl P.
    November 14, 2012 at 11:11

Of course Greece will participate. Eurovision isn’t Eurovision without the birthplace of Western music participating. :)

3. Smart
    November 14, 2012 at 09:59

The last year Greece saw a democratic open final was in 2003. Since 2004, either an internal selection or an extremely short list of artists (sometimes only 1 artist with 2-3 songs) selected internally by ERT were able to take part in the Greek Final.

Greek artists that do not have a record contract cannot submit their music to the Greek broadcaster ERT for consideration. What a pity!

4. Donnie Darko
    November 14, 2012 at 02:53

ERT is not fool to just dump the whole eurovision project the moment it still remains Greece’s favorite TV program.Now let’s just hope for an entry that will talk to the heart and not to the eye…Eleftheria for sure is beautiful ( that’s where all 5 out of 10 points for Greece 2012 on my list , came from ) but please let’s just send some music again…

5. dimitris calling
    November 14, 2012 at 02:29

Lina,last year it was just bad.A good looking girl singing a bouzouki pop song.It was disappointing.

• Karl P.
      November 14, 2012 at 11:08

Dimitris, I think you’re referring to this year’s Greek entry, “Aphrodisiac”. Lina was referring to the 2011 Greek entry “Watch My Dance”.

6. Lina
    November 13, 2012 at 21:17

btw… i thing will be not any ESC participation record this year. Maybe Participations will be less than last year or same. I m possitive for Portugal and Montenegro ( since president of Montenegro says before 2 years that Montenegrian flag should be fly every year to ESC ). I have my doubts for San Marino and Poland. But lets hope for the best participation number :)

7. Lina
    November 13, 2012 at 21:11

@Dimitris, Greece 2011 song wasnt something different ? Personal i thing that the country who send every every year same type of songs is Romania…

8. dimitris calling
    November 13, 2012 at 20:04

That’s a relief!I hope for something new and different!