The first show of the Malta Eurovision Song Contest 2011 featured 24 acts in which 16 songs advanced to tomorrow's final. A panel of six judges and the public vote picked the acts that remain in contention to represent Malta in Düsseldorf.
The 16 qualifiers (in random order):
1. Amber – Catch 22 (Ray Agius, Godwin Sant)
2. Kurt Calleja – Over and Over (Johan J'atmberg, Kurt Calleja)
3. Wayne Micallef – Everybody Sing (Wayne Micallef, Wayne Micallef)
4. Claudia Faniello – Movie in My Mind (Philip Vella, Gerard James Borg)
5. Klinsmann & Ben – This Love (Klinsmann Coleiro, Jonathan Spiteri)
6. Eleanor Cassar – Hypnotised (Paul Giordimania, Fleur Balzan)
7. Raquela – If I could do it all again (Marc Paelnick, Mathias Strasser)
8. Baklava – Moon dance (Philip Vella, Gerard James Borg)
9. Marilena ft Michael – He’s a Demon (Michael Henry, Anthony Grech)
10. Glen Vella – One Life (Paul Giordimania, Fleur Balzan)
11. J.Anvil – Topsy-Turvy (Jonas Gladnikoff / Niall Mooney / Andrew Zahra, Deo Grech / Natasha Turner)
12. Jessica Muscat – Down Down Down (Philip Vella, Jessica Muscat)
13. Kelly Schembri – Love me like your money (Sven Lundhol, Gerard James Borg)
14. Fabrizio Faniello – No Surrender (Johan Stentorp , Johan Bederholm)
15. Ally – Numb (Ally, Ally)
16. Richard Edwards – Finally (Jan Van Dijck, Richard Micallef)
Last year’s Maltese Eurovision hopeful Thea Garrett opened the show with the song My dream. She later performed a duet with the Polish representative Marcin Mrozinski. The final will take place tomorrow and the winner will be Malta’s 24th representative in the Eurovision Song Contest.
A draw to determine the running order for the final will take place soon. Stay tuned for the latest updates!
Our readers managed to correctly predict 13 out of the 16 qualifying acts tonight. The top three in our poll features Baklava (19.5%), Raquela (17.7%) and Fabrizio Faniello (17.4%).