ESCToday.com got the chance to interview Conchita Wurst during the Ambassador’s reception at the Austrian Embassy in Copenhagen.
In the exclusive interview to the HoP of ESCToday, Sergio (Sanjay) Jiandani, Conchita Wurst answered all the questions about several topics such as:
- Her life as Tom and Conchita
- Her interests
- Her participation in the national selection for Austria in 2012
- How the internal selection came about for Conchita for Eurovision 2014 and how Rise like a phoenix was chosen as the Austrian entry.
- What message she hopes to convey to Europe
- Her views on today’s opinion about sexuality
- Plus many more!
Rise like a Phoenix
Tom Neuwirth was born on 6 November of 1988, while his alter ego, Conchita Wurst, was born in November 2011 when he performed under his stage name for the very first time.
As Tom Neuwirth he began his career on the talent show Starmania in 2007 and then as part of the boy band Jetzt anders!, but was in 2011 when he took the stage of the talent show Die große Chance as the bearded lady, Miss Conchita Wurst. Since then, he has been a symbol for tolerance and artistic freedom in Austria and beyond.
In 2012 Conchita participated in the Austrian final for the Eurovision Song Contest finishing second with the upbeat song That’s what I am.
Conchita will be representing Austria in the grand final on 10 May 2014.
Stay tuned with esctoday.com for the best coverage of the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest by following us on our website and twitter @esctoday and Facebook sites.