The first weekend in October has become the standard diary date for the United Kingdom’s annual OGAE Eurovision event.
On Saturday 4 October Eurovision fans will gather at the Holiday Inn in Birmingham City Centre for the OGAE UK Eurobash. The event is so popular that it has moved to a larger hotel. It has also returned to Birmingham after several successful years in Manchester. This year there were 150 places up for grabs. Eurobash has been using the title for 9 years but has been going for many more.
Those who attend are not only from the United Kingdom but also from other parts of Europe. Many come because it is a place for participation. For those arriving early an extra event will happen. The first official Eurobash Pre-Party on Friday 3 October. This is a chance to catch up with fellow Eurofans in a Eurovision night. The Equator Bar on Hurst Street will be the place to be from 7.00pm
On the Saturday the event will include:
- Second Chance Song for Europe – a contest to find the most popular song from the UK’s national finals through the years, which never made it to Eurovision .
- The brainteasing Euroquiz
- The Guest List – Eurovision celebrities chat and answer questions from the audience.
- Eurostars – The Eurovision version of Stars In Their Eyes
- Live performance by two of the special guests
- The Euro Disco.
This year the 80’s era is from where the guests have been selected.
- Denmark’s Kirsten Siggard took part in the Eurovision Song Contests of 1984, 1985 and 1988 as part of Hot Eyes.
- Ray Caruana of Live Report represented the UK at Eurovision in 1989.
- The third guest is Martyn Ford who held the baton twice in the 1980s as he conducted for Cyprus.
Although tickets are sold out for the main event a few are still available for the EuroDisco by clicking here.
Hot Eyes with Det’ lige det 1984
Hot Eyes with Sku’ du spørg’ fra no’en 1985
Hot Eyes with Ka’ du se hva jeg sa’? 1988
Live Report with Why Do I Always Get It Wrong? 1989
Stay tuned to esctoday.com for all the information you need on the Eurovision Song Contest.