Israel: New Format for the 2013 Selection

Israel 14 Aug 2012
Written by:
Israel: New Format for the 2013 Selection

IBA, the Israeli broadcaster, has revealed the brand new format that will be used for choosing their 2013  Eurovision Song Contest entry: 30 artists will compete in three semifinals, and only ten will qualify to the grand final. The budget for the whole selection is estimated to 400,000 euros, and it is the first time that IBA will hold a big selection, as until now the traditional Kdam was held during one night only.

The four shows are planned to be held on January-February 2013. The top three will qualify to the grand final, along with a wildcard that will be chosen after all semifinals.

No participating artists have been revealed yet, however Kathleen Reiter, the winner of The Voice Israel, is rumored to be one of the favorites to take part in the selection.

Kathleen Reiter -  Set Fire To The Rain (Adele Cover, The Voice Israel Final)

Israel has failed qualifying to the final of the Eurovision Song Contest for two years in a row, being represented this year by Izabo with the song Time.

ESCtoday BigPoll 2014

Gil Laufer

Shalom! My name is Gil and I'm from Israel. I was born 20 years ago and I spent the last 15 years as a fan of the Eurovision Song Contest, as my first edition was 1999 when the competition was held in my country. I also hosted the Israeli national final in 2008, that's also when I became a member of the esctoday.com team.

1. â
    August 24, 2012 at 01:30

Yey, NF’s are the most fun!

2. yoav zohar
    August 23, 2012 at 23:39

Let’s see if channel 1 will do what he says. Could not be trusted.

3. Candyman 12 points
    August 20, 2012 at 23:05

israelis do not care about eurovision anymore, i wonder why IBA keeps trying. only 100,000 viewers watched the contest this year, a big failure for a country of 7 million people (even the contest is more popular in Bulgaria and other countries!)

Izabo’s song was very cool but the performance was too kitsch and dated.

4. banana b.
    August 16, 2012 at 14:04

it is nice and i am sure many talented singers and many beautiful songs will be introduced to europe! time to win the contest!

5. Zohar ...
    August 16, 2012 at 11:18

I gotta say I don’t like this idea. Dr. Amir Gilat (CEO of IBA) really has good intentions, but the Kdam is so unpopular here that I doubt he will get 30 viewers, let alone 30 semi-finalists. The budget should be downsized for one GOOD evening and then invest the rest in the performance in Oslo (proper staging, choreography, directing). Israel has the talent needed for this, but it is being wasted on the private market, and not available for IBA. Perhaps IBA should include cash awards/prize for the runner up & third place as well to stimulate these talents in taking part.

Don’t spread the 400000€ on four midiocre nights

6. Amir Herschkovitsch
    August 15, 2012 at 18:35

30 PARTICIPANTS?? Well, considering the fact that last year no serious artist wanted to take part in the Kdam, and the lack of interest in the ESC in Israel, i can imagine who will be those 30 artists… instead of spending loads of money on this too long format, thay should call for songs already now, to give composers/artists enough time to get ready, hold one night Kdam with good songs. If they will wait for the last moment like every year, for their call for songs, we will see the regular medicore result.

7. andre _
    August 15, 2012 at 15:00

correction: good choice to do 3 semis and a grand final and i hope for a great entry from Israel, one of my favourite ESC countries. Izabo was very underrated in baku, it surely deserved to qualify and do well. I was disappointed that saMe stuff by usual qualifiers got through and Izabo were left behind. good luck israel in esc 2013

8. andre _
    August 15, 2012 at 14:59

good choice to do 3 semis and a grand final and i hope for a great entry from Israel, one of my favourite ESC countries. Izabo was very underrated in baku, it surely deserved to qualify and do well. I was disappointed that sane stuff by usual qualifiers got through and Izabo were left behind. good luck israel in esc 2013