More than a month ago it was reported that Gina Dirawi is the hot favorite to host Melodifestivalen 2016. In a press conference hosted by the Swedish broadcaster SVT, the details were confirmed. It was also revealed that additional seven hosts will accompany Gina during every show, to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the new Melodifestivalen format, introduced in 2002, and 60 years since the first Eurovision Song Contest was broadcasted.
“It will be awesome to do this for the third time. Now I have seven colleagues with excellent experience from different aspects. We will do everything to entertain the watchers at home”, says Gina.
Seven hosts will accompany Gina during the shows of Melodifestivalen 2016:
- Semifinal 1: Petra Mede – Hostess of Eurovision 2013 that was held in Malmö and Eurovision Greatest Hits show that was held in London, along with Graham Norton
- Semifinal 2: Charlotte Perrelli – Winner of Eurovision 1999 with Take me to your heaven and Sweden’s representative in 2008 with Hero. She also co-hosted Melodifestivalen 2003 and 2004, and paricipated in Melodifestivalen 2012 with The girl.
- Semifinal 3: Henrik Schyffert – A well known Swedish comedian who also previously co-hosted the second semifinal of Melodifestivalen 2005.
- Semifinal 4: Sarah Dawn Finer – Had her Melodifestivalen debut in 2007 with I remember love and participated again in 2009 with Moving on. She previously co-hosted Melodifestivalen 2012 and had various appearences in the contest as well as in Eurovision 2013 with her character Lynda Woodruff. “I can’t promise that we’re going to see Lynda in Melodifestivalen”, says Sarah.
- Andra Chansen: Ola Salo & Peter Jöback – Ola represented Sweden in Eurovision 2007 as part of The Ark and Peter participated in Melodifestivalen 2010 with Hollow.
- Final: William Spetz – a 19 years old Swedish comedian who became famous in Sweden thanks to his YouTube channel and various comedy programs that were broadcasted on SVT Play.
Gina & Co. during the Press Conference (Ola and Peter could not attend the event)
“With these names we can not be more proud and expectant. We can’t wait to create new unforgettable moments in the history of Melodifestivalen.”, says Christer Björkman, Melodifestivalen’s Executive Producer.
Although no date was announced, we are expected to know the full lineup of Melodifestivalen 2016 in about two to three weeks. The winner of the competition will go to represent Sweden on homeground in Eurovision Song Contest 2016 final that will be held on 14 May in Stockholm’s Globe Arena.
- A total of 2450 entries were submitted for the competition
- The grand final will take place in the Friends Arena of Stockholm on 13 March
- Smajling Swedes are the first officially confirmed act, qualifying from Svensktoppen Nästa
- Next year’s contest will feature a brand new logo