Radio 2 Eurovision, the digital pop up service that celebrates all things Eurovision will return once again next May.
The pop up service was first introduced to listeners for last years contest in Copenhagen. The service kept listeners entertained whilst providing up to date information on what was going on in the most recent edition of Europe’s Favourite TV Show. This year the service will continue with the same format to celebrate 60 years of the contest. The service will be controlled by Brett Spencer (Editor, Digital, Popular Music) and Helen Thomas (Editor, Radio 2).
When will it begin?
Radio 2 Eurovision will begin at midday on Thursday 21 May 2015 and will end on Sunday 24 May 2015. During those days, listeners can tune into a mixture of live shows, interviews and musical treats. To host these programmes, the BBC have appointed the following presenters who most of whom have been involved in Eurovision before:
- Paddy O’Connell – Semi-final commentator for the BBC from 2004-2010.
- Graham Norton – Current grand final commentator for the BBC One.
- Scott Mills – Current semi-final commentator for the BBC Three.
- Sara Cox – Semi-final commentator for the BBC from 2011-2012.
- Ken Bruce – Current grand final commentator for BBC Radio 2.
- Steve Wright
- Maria McErlane
- Sir Terry Wogan – The UK commentator from 1973-2008.
- Ana Matronic – Semi-final commentator for 2013 and current semi final commentator for BBC Radio 2 Eurovision
- Sonia – UK runner up from 1993
- Rufus Hound
- Vanessa Feltz
What programmes will feature during the service?
During the days in which the service will be up and running, listeners can expect the following programmes:
- The Graham Norton Radio Show – Live from Vienna on BBC Radio 2 and Radio 2 Eurovision.
- 2015 Eurovision Song Contest Grand Final – On BBC Radio 2 and Radio 2 Eurovision.
- Eurovision Song Contest Semi finals – Live commentary from Ana Matronic during the 2nd semi final and recorded from the first.
- Warm up programme – Live from Vienna will be presented by Ana Matronic.
- Sir Terry Wogan’s Tracks Of My Eurovision Years
- And the Winner…Isn’t – Will be hosted by Sonia.
- Nil Points – Will be hosted by Rufus Hound.
- The Eurovision Book Show – Will be hosted by Vanessa Feltz.
- A special interview with Conchita – Will be hosted by Paddy O’Connell.
- The Ultimate Eurovision Quiz
- Eurovision Pick of the Pops
- Eurovision Popmaster – Will be hosted by Ken Bruce.
- Ultimate Eurovision Chart – Will be hosted by Ken Bruce. The chart will be decided by the listeners.
- As well as a mix of live shows, interviews and musical treats.
How can I tune in?
Listeners can tune in to Radio 2 Eurovision from Thursday 21 May by visiting the pop-up digital radio at bbc.co.uk/eurovision, on DAB Digital Radio and listen via the BBC iPlayer Radio App and UK Radio Player.