RTP, the Portuguese national broadcaster is working from strength to strength in order to showcase a magnificent and extraordinary show come May.
The Portuguese broadcaster has put in a lot of hard work and effort in their Eurovision 2018 project and has made quite an impact with its preparations. Both the EBU and the Reference Group are quite impressed with RTP’s organization and plan of action.
Yesterday, RTP held a special press conference at Lisbon’s Oceanarium in order to disclose the latest developments regarding the forthcoming 2018 Eurovision Song Contest.
RTP officials officially presented the 2018 Eurovision logo and slogan and revealed the participating countries at the upcoming Eurovision Song Contest. RTP’s Gonçalo Mandail and Nuno Galopim shed more light on the 2018 Euroclub, Eurovision Village, Press Centre and social program during the press conference.
Blue is the new red!
For the very first time in the Eurovision Song Contest, the Red Carpet will be transformed into the Blue Carpet thus merging in with Eurovision 2018’s slogan and theme, showcasing the country’s maritime and nautical heritage.
Portugal has played a key role for 500 years connecting continents and has contributed a great number of explorers throughout history.
Cost effective and creative contest
During the press conference, RTP’s President Mr. Gonçalo Reis said that the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest will be the decade’s most cost efficient, innovative and creative edition. He went on to say to that Eurovision in Lisbon will be elegant and sophisticated and will showcase modern and contemporary Lisbon.
RTP’s President Mr. Gonçalo Reis talks about Eurovision 2018
The Nautical connection – Oceans and Seas
The 2018 Eurovision theme art and logo celebrate Portugal’s nautical and historical heritage and its connection with oceans and seas, thus showcasing the fusion between modern day Portugal and ancient Portugal. RTP would like to portray Portugal as an open, diverse and inclusive country.
EBU’s ESC Executive Supervisor Mr. Jon Ola Sand was also present during the press conference and said that he was very impressed and pleased with RTP’s organization, and was looking forward to a great Eurovision show next May.
At the end of the press conference, Gonçalo Mandail introduced the whole 2018 Eurovision team which included: Carla Bugalho (Deputy Eurovision 2018 Executive Producer) and Ola Mezig (Eurovision 2018 Show Producer).
What RTP revealed during the press conference
- The 2018 Eurovision theme art, logo and slogan
- The 2018 Participants List (42 countries will compete in Lisbon)
- The Venue for the 2018 Eurovision Village
- Eurovision 2018 Ticket Sales will kick off in November
- The 2018 Euroclub will be located on the seafront
- Host Insignia Handover Ceremony/Semi-final Allocation Draw on 29 January
What is yet to come
The 2018 Eurovision host broadcaster is yet to reveal many other anecdotes and details regarding the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest. We expect to know more information on the following features in due course:
- The 2018 Eurovision hosts
- The venue for the 2018 Opening Ceremony/Welcome Reception
- The venue for the 2018 Euroclub
- The 2018 Eurovision Stage
- Volunteer recruitment
- Ticket sales dates/details
- The venue for the 2018 Eurovision Press Centre
- The Eurovillage social programme
- The Euroclub social programme
- Eurovision 2018 side events
Eurovision 2018 Provisional Timeline
- 29/01/2018 – Eurovision 2018 Host Insignia Handover Ceremony
- 29/01/2018 – Eurovision 2018 Semifinal Allocation Draw
- 12/03/2018 – Heads of Delegation Meeting in Lisbon (TBC) – (provisional date)
- 01/04/2018 – RTP moves into Altice Arena – stage construction begins
- 29/04/2018 – Rehearsals begin (TBC) – (provisional date)
- 04/05/2018 – Eurovision Village Opening
- 06/05/2018 – Welcome Reception/Opening Ceremony (TBC) – (provisional date)
- 07/05/2018 – Semi-final 1 – Jury Show
- 08/05/2018 – Semi-final 1 – Family Show
- 08/05/2018 – Semi-final 1 – Live Broadcast
- 09/05/2018 – Semi-final 2 – Jury Show
- 10/05/2018 – Semi-final 2 – Family Show
- 10/05/2018 – Semi-final 2 – Live Broadcast
- 11/05/2018 – Eurovision Song Contest Grand Final – Jury Final
- 12/05/2018 – Eurovision Song Contest Grand Final – Family Show
- 12/05/2018 – Eurovision Song Contest Grand Final – Live Broadcast
The 2018 Eurovision Song Contest is scheduled to be held on 8, 10 and 12 May at the Altice Arena in Lisbon, Portugal.