The first semi final of the Maltese selection for the 2009 Eurovision Song Contest is about to take place. Seven songs will be presented.
- Ludwig Galea ft. Fidela tal-Bambinu – Lament (Philip Vella)
- Dominic Cini – I'm in heaven (Elton Zarb/Rita Pace)
- Classic Rebels – Tonight at the opera (Ralph Siegel/Bernd Meinunger as'John O'Flynn')
- Klinsmann – Rock & Rise (Klinsmann Coleiro/Joe Julian Farrugia)
- Talitha Dimech – Earth & sky (Philip Vella/Gerard J. Borg)
- Rosman Pace– One million ways (Rosman Pace)
- Francesca Borg – Falling in love (Jason Paul Cassar/Mario J. Farrugia)
The show has started! The stage seems to be inspired by the disco era of the 1970s.
1. Ludwig Galea ft. Fidela tal-Bambinu – Lament (Philip Vella)
Ludwig Galea has represented Malta in the 2004 Eurovision Song Contest with his partner Julie and finished 12th. This time he presents an operatic ballad that does sound like many others but might be well accepted by the audience. His more mature partner Fidela only sings a few lines and she seems a bit out-of-place on stage. Of course, the classicblack suit is perfect for the song.
2. Dominic Cini – I'm in heaven (Elton Zarb/Rita Pace)
The song starts off as a ballad but turns into swing after a while. Dominic Cini seems to enjoy his performance. Nevertheless, the overall entry seems to be too much of a Frank Sinatra impersonation and might not have big chances in the contest.
3. Classic Rebels – Tonight at the opera (Ralph Siegel/Bernd Meinunger as'John O'Flynn')
This is one of many Ralph Siegel comositions about stage entertainment. The song is very predictable after a few notes heard and the performance far from being outstanding. The vocals are not very strong and it is hard to believe that this song will go very far.
4. Klinsmann – Rock& Rise (Klinsmann Coleiro/Joe Julian Farrugia)
Klinsmann presents an average pop/rock song. He performs his entry all alone stage accompanying himself at the guitar. Overall, the performance is pretty charming but couldhe be a bit "harder" if he wants to be a rock singer.
After a classical interval act, song five will be presented.
5. Talitha Dimech – Earth & sky (Philip Vella/Gerard J. Borg)
The songs starts off as a ballad and the vocals are flawless. Then the song turns more up-tempo and Talitha gets lost in the high notes.Generally this might not become one of the top favourites.
6.Rosman Pace– One million ways (Rosman Pace)
Rosman Pace presents a pretty old-fashioned mid-tempo song. The vocals are flawless but the stage performance is not very remarkable. Generally a rather kitschy entry.
7. Francesca Borg – Falling in love (Jason Paul Cassar/Mario J. Farrugia)
The last song tonight is a classic Eurovision ballad. Francesca performs it in a very emotional and authentic way. The classy black dress suits the overall impression well. From tonight's semi final, this might well be the entry that has the biggest chance of qualifying.
The show is over. Another seven songs will be presented next week.